Wednesday, March 13, 2013

(Actual) Welcome Post


Hello,

My name is Bryam and welcome to my Technical Writing Blog. This post is a formal introduction for the Your 1st Blog Post assignment. To clarify any confusion, the first post was created in order to test the publishing feature, not as the assignment post.

My current major is Mechanical Engineering, and the vision is to earn at least my Master's degree and to perhaps someday take part in the creation of a new invention. Even as a kid who grew up in the 90's, it's amazing how quickly technology has advanced and nested itself into every corner of daily life. There once was a time where computers and cellphones were not a commonplace. From a life's perspective, the sight of every single person owning a cellphone happened without a moment's notice. For most of Elementary School, one wasn't even aware that such things existed; it's as if the cellphones had magically appeared. The cellphones one saw at the time on the market had a relatively simple interface, lacked color and camera, and sported an antenna. As the years went by, some cellphones started coming out in color, and the simple, colorless cellphones began phasing out. Then some came with a camera (which had very low megapixels), then came the touchscreens; eventually, the cellphone had evolved into the smartphone of today. Now in days it is hard to find someone that doesn’t have a smartphone, and some claim it to be one of most important inventions of all time.

My interests in science and technology have been fairly broad. I began collecting rocks and fossils when I was young, and my collection exists even today. As a child, I would build highways on my bed; molding the blanket to create roads, adding paper exit signs and driving my toy cars through them. When I obtained some toy planes, I would create an airport, using pillows as terminals and signs that read: "Terminal 1: American Airlines, TWA, Etc...” There was this one era when I would watch the Weather Channel a lot. When Hurricane Sandy hit, I instantly remembered the Weather Channel's It Could Happen Tomorrow where they aired an episode about why New York City could not withstand a Category 4 Hurricane. Presently, I don't have any fixed interests, though I show a little concern with technology. Sometimes I wonder if the car would have been invented if it the greenhouse effect had been discovered before it. Generally, before something is invented I would assume the inventor(s) would consider all possible consequences of said invention before finalizing. With robots replacing humans on many tasks, and the predicted change to digital money, one has to wonder about possible consequences.

We all share similar relations to technology to some extent. Many people today still remember a time before artifacts like cellphones and computers were a commonplace. Even those of the younger generation, today's teens and young adults, have seen some form of change in the technologies around them. With the current pattern of evolution, it is a mystery what the common artifacts of tomorrow will look like and what they will bring to our lives.

I've never been much of a reader for some reason. I've begun to enjoy writing more than I used to, even though not much writing has been done outside of school assignments. Attempts to write outside of school haven't really gone well. A journal was attempted the other day, but the writing became a bit inconsistent or it ending up not coming out how the mind had envisioned it. Perhaps some other time I'll try to write some thoughts down; that shall be left for another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment